MySQL 5.0 Now Available!
MySQL AB, developer of the world's most popular open source database, today announced the general availability of MySQL 5.0, the most sigificant product upgrade in the company's ten-year history. Starting today, MySQL 5.0 can be downloaded under the open source GPL license at http://dev.mysql.com.
The new MySQL 5.0 combines enterprise-grade reliability and performance with advanced SQL 2003 standard-compliant features, making it the most cost-effective database solution for business-critical applications. The product’s new functionality will be especially familiar to database developers and DBAs of proprietary relational database systems — allowing IT departments to ease the integration and transition of their data, applications and skill-sets.
MySQL 5.0 delivers dozens of new enterprise features, including:
- Stored Procedures and SQL Functions — to embed business logic in the database and improve performance;
- Triggers — to enforce complex business rules at the database level;
- Views — to ensure protection of sensitive information;
- Cursors — to allow easier database development and reference of large datasets;
- Information Schema — to provide easy access to metadata;
- XA Distributed Transactions — supports complex transactions across multiple databases in heterogeneous environments;
- SQL Mode — provides server-enforced data integrity for new and existing data;
- New Federated and Archive Storage Engines — MySQL’s unique pluggable storage engine architecture allows greater flexibility, functionality and performance by making it easy to swap database engines in and out, based on users’ application requirements;
- New Migration Toolkit — A new graphical toolkit that completely migrates all data and objects from Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access and other database platforms to MySQL;
- Instance Manager — new management assistant that allows remote starting/stopping of any MySQL Server, as well as remote editing of configuration files, reading of error and query logs, and more;
- Updated Connectors and Visual Tools — new high-performance versions of MySQL’s ODBC, Java and .NET database drivers are now available, along with updated versions of the MySQL Query Browser and MySQL Administrator.
Over 30 enterprise software and database tool vendors have expressed support for MySQL 5.0. These third-party partners’ products and platforms will be certified for MySQL Network, the company’s commercial database subscription service. They include Acronis, ActiveGrid, Actuate BIRT, Agresso, Alphasoftware, Arkeia, Business Objects, Embarcadero Technologies, Emic Networks, Four J’s, GoldenGate Software, HP, IBM, Informatica, Jaspersoft, NEC System Technologies, Novell, Pentaho, Quest Software, Samsung SDS, SAP, SourceLabs, SpikeSource, SSA Global, Steeleye, Sumisho, Sun Microsystems, SugarCRM, Zend, and Zimbra.
The production version of MySQL 5.0 is available now for Linux, Windows, Solaris, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, HP-UX, IBM AIX 5L and a range of other operating systems. All MySQL database software is available under a dual licensing model. Developers and organizations can choose between an open source (GPL) or a commercial MySQL license, depending on their deployment requirements. End-user enterprises can also subscribe to MySQL Network, a comprehensive set of certified software and premium support services. For software downloads and additional information, visit http://www.mysql.com/products/.
Fatal error: Call to undefined function aa_author_bios() in /opt/apache/dms/b2b/linux-mag.com/site/www/htdocs/wp-content/themes/linuxmag/single.php on line 62